Sunday, December 25, 2011

Ruine city - Painting Phase First update (paint it black)

Since my last update, I have spent the majority of time putting a coat of black paint over all the pieces.

Painting 16 1ft by 1ft squares takes a long time. There are so many nooks and corners spots where the paint simply doesn't want to go.  It was really a pain in the butt to do this stage. It took almost 2 full weeks to do.  I had to paint on all the black. I tried to spray paint black on, but I had to go over it so much with a brush because the spray paint would not get into the grooves very well at all.

I also worked on my first test piece to near conclusion.



This is a picture of all 16 sections painted black (the bell tower has been removed as is being painted while off its base.   Its a simple boring picture, but getting to this stage took a lot of time.





Once this was, it was time to work on 1 piece.   Time to do some exciting dry-brushing..  I was going to start with the ground, and then work my way to the ruins, but I did the ruins first, and then the ground second. I wont make that mistake on future molds. If I am  going to have some colors overlap that requires repainting I would rather it happen on the "dirt" then on the stonework.


I took pictures of the stages of drybrushing to final details.

This is the amount of paint I have to do the drybrushing with. I used about 7 bottles painting all the black on the above picture.






This is a different piece I made last year, and I want to copy these results, as I'm very happy with this piece.












After first layer of drybrushing (I was only painting half the model) I was thinking of trying some different color shades on the other half if  this didnt turn out how I wanted.





2nd layer of dry brushing



I decided I liked it, so I worked on the 2nd half as well, and with a little more drybrushing, here is the results.



Now its time for the ground.. I painted the ground brown for the first layer.









I then used a different shade of brown to somewhat drybrush on and make the ground look a bit more rough in areas.







Now i started adding some final touches and different types of shrubby and little effects to the piece.







There are some up close shoots of some of the different foliage I usage.  its hard to get a decent shoot from a distance with the camera I am using.



















I am excited to spend the next couple weeks working on the rest of the pieces.  The belltower / Crypt and Fountain pieces will still present me with some exciting challenges, as I need to put a lot more effort and detail into them before they will be complete.

2 comments:

  1. This looks great so far! Looks like you put in a whole lot of hobby time in this one. Have you played on it at all or are you waiting to finish the whole thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not played on it yet. I want to have at least 8 pieces done before I take it down to the gamestore to be used. I actually have 4 pieces done now, and working on 3 more. I Hope to have some pictures up by the end of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete